¹Facts about Gorilla;
- The western lowland gorilla lives in forests and swamplands in central Africa (mainly in the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo).
- These apes are the largest and the strongest ones in the world.
- The most distinctive feature of male gorillas is the silverback. This trait develops when males are fully grown-usually around 15 years of age.
- The average weight of males is approx. 160 kg, but the largest individual discovered in the wild weighed as much as 267kg! Females are lighter, weighing about half the weight of males.
- These animals are primarily vegetarians. They mainly eat fruits, leaves, stems and tree bark. Sometimes they diversify their diet with ants or termites.
- In the wild, gorilla eats up to 25kg of food every day.
- Humans share as much as 98.3% of their DNA with gorillas. Right after chimpanzees, they are our closest relatives.
- A gorilla is even ten times stronger than a human.
- These animals live in herds of up to 30 individuals They are sociable and rather quiet creatures. The male dominates the group.